Monday, March 17, 2014

Mask Adventure Part 2: Synchronicities

On February 26th, I posted about my interview with Sandra of Mask Theatre and how inspired I was by the idea of incorporating masks into Goddesspell.  I walked away from that experience knowing I wanted more information on mask theatre.  On March 3, I flew into LAX and took a bus to my friend Christie's house in Redondo Beach to spend the night before meeting Anahata and heading up the coast.  Christy, ironically, was in Atlanta (where I am currently based) and on her nightstand was a book that intrigued me: "Pagan Grace" by Ginnette Paris.   I picked it up and the bookmark was at a section in the book entitled: "Playing Roles, Wearing Masks".  I, of course read it, and it was exactly what I was looking for.   Here is one of the quotes, among, many that I wrote down from my reading:
"the mask. . .is not something behind which one hides but rather the very image through which one connects with the archetype. . The ancient concept of the mask as a link between the person and the archetype it embodied."
On March 10th, I arrived back in LA and headed to the McGroarty Arts Center where my friend Candace Sorenson is currently acting as their arts festival director.  On the evening of March 10th, I started the first session of a mask making workshop with fabulous artist, Rochelle Niemerow.  By Tues night, this is what I had created!!


I'm so freakin excited about this mask work!!!  And I feel really empowered to create my own masks for the scaled down, mini-concert version of Goddesspell that I will be producing this summer!! YEAH

No comments:

Post a Comment