Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Hair" with Goddesses

So, I watched this 30 min video of Eve Ensler (Vagina Monologue author, One Billion Rising founder) giving a talk at the Bioneer Conference.  She is intense!!!  At times, she shows her (what I call) "righteous anger" which can at times be a turn off unless you really understand she has been in the trenches with women around the world.  BUT if you hang in there to get the fullness of her message, it is so POWERFUL and the reason for the season. . ..no wait a minute. . . reason I feel passionate about this project and it's underlying message.  BUT make no mistake, Goddesspell is NOT heady or intense overall (there are a few moments ;-) - it is full of heart.  As I wrote to a friend just today: 
This is definitely not a traditional piece of theatre and it is very musically driven.  It's not very heady at all really(on the surface). . . it's meant to get to the heart via the experience- as a whole- via ALL the senses but not to the exclusion of thought provoking ideas via what dramatic action there is.  There is definitely an element of comedy- a must!!- but it's not a comedy and the end of the show is co-created with the audience- after a certain sense of community is established.  For me the bottom line is always seeking to be inspired by the divine and trusting that if I make choices from that place in guiding the creation of Goddesspell that others will be inspired by the work as well.

AND I LOVED his reply:
Okay, now I get it. It's Hair with goddesses instead of hippies.
Hair BTW changed my life. Never saw Godspell.
Yo go girl, 
I have never seen the musical Hair, but I'm pretty sure there is a DVD of it. . .so I guess that will be on my list of movies to watch this holiday season!

I hope you take the time to watch this video of Eve and that it helps you understand the importance of this work. . .maybe enough to help with our fundraising efforts (please click the fundraising campaign page above and help make it happen!)  DEEP thanks for your support - in whatever form it comes!!!
Friend Goddesspell on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment