Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Interview #1 Sandra and Masks!

I have been taking this class at C4 Atlanta 


and one of the assignments was to interview 10 people you consider to be part of your target market.  I loved the idea so much that I decide to extend the interview subjects to people who create new theatrical works as well as a way of sparking additional ideas (making the show more marketable!!!). SO, over the next month or so, I will be reporting about my 10 interview adventure! 
Sandra holding the triple goddess mask carved of wood 
Back in the day, when I was a majoring in theatre I took a workshop on working with masks and was very intrigued by the whole process.   It was a whole new way of taking on a character.  And the idea of completely embodying an archetype via the mask struck me as a very spiritual experience.  I knew if I took on the study seriously it would mean going places I had never been- exciting and scary at the same time.  But, the school I went to didn't have mask classes so I didn't pursue any further training and my creative life went in a different direction.

A couple weeks ago, fellow thespian Sandra Hughes (of Gateway Productions), whom I have had the pleasure of crossing paths with over the last year or so, sent out an email.  It read, in part:
Gateway Productions recently accepted an invitation from Synchronicity Theatre in Atlanta, GA to participate in the creation of the production of a new play based on the novel "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon" by Grace Lin. The adaptation for the stage of this 2010 Newbery Honors book is a “fantasy crossed with Chinese folklore” that's certain to be enjoyed by families, youth and the young at heart of all ages.
The artistic process I've experienced as part of the creative team for this beautiful production has been outstanding. The show opens in Atlanta the evening of Valentine's Day through March 9th. Click here for tickets and more information.
I was immediately intrigued by the new play process and also the fact that Sandra's specialty is mask theatre and mime.  It all of the sudden occurred to me that it would be really awesome to incorporate masks into parts of Goddesspell during certain goddess vignettes.   I immediately emailed her to see if she would let me interview her on both subjects: new play process and mask theatre.  I also made plans to see the show before meeting with her.

In a nutshell, both the play and the interview were delightful and inspiring to me (go see it if you are in the area!!!).  You will have to wait to see the results of the interview but just know there WILL be masks in Goddesspell and it will be REALLY cool!!!  More will be revealed as we take this creation journey.  For now, I'm signed up to do a mask making workshop myself. . just to get warmed up a bit!!!

Let your imagination go!!!
The Crone

No comments:

Post a Comment