Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Time at McGroarty

So it's been just over a week since my arrival at McGroarty Arts Center where I have been helping my friend, Candace Sorenson, out with an arts festival.  I began my week as I described in my last post actually taking the mask workshop.  I finished my time at the center last night by assisting the British artist/filmmaker, Derek Boshier, in the viewing of 5 of his short films. . .REALLY interesting stuff- collages of still, moving images (live and animated) and sound.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Throughout the week, I've seen all kinds of art, met many interesting people, had lots of great conversations and been inspired and affirmed in my own artistic journey.  Overall, it's been a very good visit and I'm REALLY glad I came.  Candace has done a great job!
Candace and I go back to 1998 and the theatre scene in Charlotte, NC!
Additional highlights included watching beee-a-utifully choreographed and executed dances by the California Contemporary Ballet and helping Clara York and her husband with "Between a Hard Place and a Rock". I was backstage most of the time running visuals but overall it was an inspiration and affirmation for me in creating the  Goddesspell promotional concert which will also be interweaving solo performance pieces with music and visuals backed/supported by the lovely Anahata Iradah, Goddesspell's musical director.
This past Sunday, I helped by setting up the sound system for the event "Colliding Rhymes" highlighting the work of several different poets.  My favorite was Sean Hill- loved his work and his presence.  After the show, I had a brief conversation with him and he handed me a CD of recordings of his work and some of the music that inspired him.  I listened to it that night and was so excited to be turned onto some new artists.  I got really motivated to get into the studio and do some new recordings (which is my intention this next month) and to create a really cool music video or two this year.  ALSO, I feel affirmed in the idea that I've had of incorporating spoken word/slam poetry into a piece or two.  BIG thanks to Sean for the sparks of inspiration!

Please consider making a tax deductible donation to support Goddess, The Mother, 
in helping to bring more balance to the world via Goddesspell!
You can also help by "liking" the Goddesspell page on Facebook.  
(From a fundraising point of view it really helps to see support!)
THANKS!!! and LOVE!!!
Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment