Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Interview #3- Artistic Director, Heidi Howard

So my first interview was centered around process, my second around getting feedback from a potential audience member and my third with potential producer/presenter, Heidi Howard.  Heidi and I have been in conversation on and off over the last 2-3 years for different reasons and most of this time she was the manager of the Atlanta theatre 7 Stages.  About 1 1/2 years ago, I first approached 7 Stages current artistic and executive directors (I'm not sure I'm getting the titles correct), Del Hamilton and Faye Allen (Heidi was part of the conversation as well) about my ideas for Goddesspell.  I knew they were involved in the development of new works- especially ones that elicited social/political activism.  I have always thought 7 Stages would be the perfect producer/presenter but back then I really wasn't ready to take the actual creation steps.  Now I am.

So, Heidi, who is now the Artistic Director agreed to spend an hour with me - even with her busy schedule - to give me feedback on some of my ideas for the show and also on the process of getting it mounted/produced/presented!  I asked her about my idea of putting together sort of a mini-me "Goddesspell" or "A Touch of Goddesspell" presentation that we could perform in all kinds of places for all kinds of situations- as a way of promoting the show, gathering interest etc.  She thought it was a great idea and suggested that I submit this idea for their works in progress program which they call the "Home Grown Series".  Basically, if we get approved for this series we would be given a space to produce a very scaled down, sampling of our Goddesspell creations for the 7 Stage audience sometime during the next year.  If things, go well with that . . then the next step is to raise the money for a workshop performance which they would collaborate with us on in terms of trying to land certain grants for this specific purpose.  Heidi gave me some specific ideas around grants and approaching other presenters for support etc.  It was all very helpful information and  I REALLY appreciated her time and her general enthusiasm.

So, next step: submit a request to be part of 7 Stages "Home Grown Series", which I will do this week and hopefully, one of these next posts I'll be announcing our acceptance!!!  But regardless, I'm very thankful for Heidi's time and thoughts- the information I gathered was very helpful whichever direction we end up going in!

You can help by "liking" the Goddesspell page on Facebook. 
(It helps potential producers/investors to see interest!)
THANKS!!! and LOVE!!!
Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment