Thursday, April 03, 2014

Interview #2- Jan Christiansen of GCADV

I was challenged to interview 10 people who I consider to be representative of the people I would be marketing this project to as part of the C4 course I took, AIM (Artists in the Marketplace).  For my interview process, I'm also including people who I believe will be helpful with the creative process as well which was the case with Sandra Hughes, who I interviewed first (see earlier blog!)

This past Thursday I had my second interview with Jan Christiansen, executive director of Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence (GCADV).  She is also my friend, having been my neighbor for over two years.  We have both been involved Eve Ensler's One Billion Rising movement as well.  Being someone who considers herself a feminist and who is also an active advocate for battered women, I felt she was a perfect candidate to get some feedback from.
I described to her my objectives with "Goddesspell"- that more than a piece of entertainment, I really wanted to help transform consciousness around the feminine, getting at some of the root issues around the suppression/oppression of women and around the pain and suffering that the world is experiencing in general as a result of the imbalance of masculine and feminine energies.  I expressed to her my belief that we still do not hold feminine attributes (also found in men) in equal esteem to masculine and that one of the results of this it that we don't put equal value on what women in general  have to offer our society as women.  In addition, our culture still objectifies women in many ways which is reflected in our entertainment media especially.   In other words, one of the main roots of our domestic violence issues is how we (both men and women) are taught in our culture to view women in general (which is so engrained that many are unconscious of it).  I wanted to know if she agreed and if she had any additional thoughts/ideas especially when it comes to marketing to people like herself. 

She agree wholeheartedly to my conclusions which was great to know from someone who has worked so closely and personally with battered women's issues.  She also re-iterated something I have had conversations with other women about- and that is the fact that women in our culture have to take on so much masculine energy to be "successful" in their careers in general.  I actually recently had a conversation with a woman who had suggested organizing a lunch for two different departments that work together so that they could get to know each other better.  Her boss derided her for this suggestion - in essence calling it unprofessional and too"touchy, feely" for a work environment.   

In terms of marketing Goddesspell to feminists in general, Jan and I  both agreed that the emphasis should not be on promoting the idea of the existence of a Goddess/God the Mother/feminine aspect of God.  We agreed that it would be more effective to put the emphasis on the fact that the show is about acknowledging, affirming, celebrating the feminine attributes via the goddess archetypes as a way of witnessing and reminding ourself of their value and importance in bringing healing and balance to the world.  YES!

Thanks Jan, for your time, your spirit and your support!

You can help to bring more balance to the world via Goddesspell
 by making a tax deductible donation 
You can also help by "liking" the Goddesspell page on Facebook. 
(It helps potential producers/investors to see interest!)
THANKS!!! and LOVE!!!
Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment